- 1 lb (450 g) Heritage White or Bread Blend Flour Weighing ingredients is the most accurate way to bake.
- 1-2 tsp Sea Salt
- 10- 12 oz (300 G) Chlorine-Free Water 75-80 degrees F
- 1/2 - 1 tsp Active Dry Yeast
Mixing and Kneading
- Using a large spoon or fork, stir the liquid into the flour. When all the water has been added it will be a rather sticky lump. With wet hands, knead the dough by pushing, pulling and stretching it. There are many examples of kneading dough on YouTube.
- After kneading for a few minutes, the dough will become less sticky and wet, beginning to look like a bread dough.
- Cover and let sit on the counter for 1- 2 hours. This is proofing time (the dough is rising). It will rise more quickly if the kitchen temperature is 70+F. if it is less than 70 F it will take longer which is the reason for the 1-2 hour range.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Now the dough needs to be handled gently so as to not deflate it. Scrape dough out on to a lightly floured counter. This is the final shaping (examples of methods on You Tube). Round it up and shape it into an oblong loaf.
- Place in a bread pan that has been oiled with both butter and olive oil. Use this combination for best release. Cover the dough to keep it from drying out. Leave it on the counter and let it proof while the oven heats, about 30-45 minutes.
- Place dough in the preheated oven and bake for about 35-45 minutes. Check it with a stick thermometer for an internal temperature of 195-205 F.
Want a lighter crust? Make a little tent of aluminum foil and place it over the pan when it goes in the oven. This will keep the crust from getting too hard. Remove the tent of for the last 10 minutes so it will brown.
Tried this recipe?tag #sunriseflourmill