- 3 Cup Heritage White Flour
- Zest of one very large or two medium lemons plus the juice
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 Cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 Cup buttermilk
- 1/2 Cup sourdough starter, optional
- 1 1/2 Cups organic powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- In a small bowl blend flour, zest, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar, on medium, until pale and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Add vanilla, and sourdough starter, if using.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and buttermilk.
- Squeeze in juice from the lemons that were zested.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or 6 hours if starter is used.
- Heat oven to 350F 30 minutes prior to baking.
- When ready to bake, drop by teaspoon or dough baller on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake on the middle rack for 10-12 minutes. They will puff up a little and the edges should be slightly brown. Leave room for them to spread a little.
- When baked, remove to a cooling rack and brush the tops with glaze.
Tried this recipe?tag #sunriseflourmill