- 1 Cup lukewarm milk
- 2 1/2 Tbsp dry active yeast
- 1 Cup cold water
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Cup butter (2 sticks), melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 6-7 Cups Sunrise Flour Mill Heritage White Flour or Bread Blend
- Dissolve the yeast in the milk to which a pinch of sugar has been added. Set aside to activate for 10 minutes.
- Melt butter over low heat
- In a large bowl, combine cold water, sugar, salt, melted butter, and eggs.
- Add the yeast mixture making sure all the lumps have been mixed out. Mix on medium.
- Add the flour, one cup at a time, mixing on low after each addition, then on high until it’s formed into a dough. You may want to mix in the last cup by hand.
- This should be a smooth but sticky dough.
- Liberally flour your counter and turn the dough out of the bowl.
- Knead for 10 minutes. Feel free to add another cup of flour as you knead, if necessary.
- Oil a bowl that is twice the size of the dough.
- Place dough in the bowl and roll it around so that it’s coated with oil.
- Cover with a damp tea towel or plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 2 hours.
- Punch down the dough and begin making smaller balls.
- Roll into1-1 ½ oz balls and place 2-3 inches apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Cover and let rise for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and make an indentation in each center using your fingers or the bottom of a small glass, or the back of a tablespoon measuring spoon.
- Add filling of your choice dropping it into the indent. You can use any filling you want - fruit sauce or jam, cream cheese, or poppyseed. Prune and poppyseed are traditional but my favorites always have been fruit. See strawberry compote directions below.
- Cover and let rise again for 15 minutes.
- Heat oven to 475F
- Bake for 8-10 minutes to an internal temperature of 190-200F and the tops are golden.
- 1# strawberries, cleaned and halved or quartered2 Tbsp sugar3 tbsp orange juice2 Tbsp cornstarch
- In a small saucepan, mix the cornstarch into the juice until well-combined. Add strawberries and sugar.
- Cook over low heat until thick, stirring occasionally.
- The basic dough recipe is the best sweet dough I’ve ever had so feel free to try it with other bakes and let us know the recipes you make using it.
Tried this recipe?tag #sunriseflourmill