Print Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
Note: This recipe is for making a 12” Pizza. See "Heritage Pizza Crust" recipe for making your pizza crust.
- 4 oz (94 g) Basil Pesto
- 1-2 tbsp Water
- Walnuts crushed into small pieces (to taste)
- Parmigiano Reggiano or Mozzarella (to taste)
- To make one 12” pizza you need about 4 ounces of Pesto.
- Combine 4 ounces (113g) of Pesto with a little water and mix it in so that the mixture is thin enough to spread on a pizza crust. One or two tablespoons of added water should be enough.
- The mixture will spread on the crust more easily if it has warmed up a bit so I like to soften the oil by leaving it sitting out on the counter for a couple of hours before using.
- Spread on your crust almost but not quite to the edge. Add the crushed *walnuts, sprinkle with some Parmesan or Mozzarella, or some of each.
- Note: We use walnuts instead of pine nuts due to Pine Mouth or Pine Nut Syndrome explained well and humorously in this article from Bon Appetit Magazine:https://www.bonappetit.com/story/pine-nut-mouth-syndrome
Tried this recipe?tag #sunriseflourmill