- 1/2 C Butter (or ¼ butter and ¼ coconut oil)
- 2 C Ultra Fine Heritage Whole Wheat Pastry Flour or Ultra Fine Heritage Whole Wheat flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon (1 tsp if a stronger cinnamon flavor is desired)
- 4 Tbsp Honey
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 3/4 C Active Sourdough Starter
- Preheat the oven 350F at least 30 minutes prior to baking.
- Melt butter (or butter and coconut oil). Set aside and let cool.
- With a fork, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Add butter (or butter and coconut oil), honey, vanilla, and your active sourdough starter and continue mixing.
- Form into a ball and divide in half. You can either make these right away or you can cover them and allow them to rest for a couple hours. Allowing it to rest will deepen the flavor and make them more easily digestible.
- Place one ball on parchment or waxed paper. Flatten a little with your hands. If it is uneven on the edges, squeeze dough together to make a neater edge. Place another piece of paper on top. Roll to desired thickness with a rolling pin. If you prefer clean edges, trim to shape and re-roll excess dough. The crackers will puff up a little during baking. Very thin will make them very crisp and need to bake less time. A little thicker will be crisp. Even thicker will make a delicious shortbread-type cracker.
- Cut into squares with a pizza cutter. They can be pricked with a fork if desired but it's not necessary. Optional: brush tops with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes. Check the oven often. They can get easily over done. They will continue to bake a little once they’re out of the oven so if they seem like they’re getting crisp, take them out and leave them on the baking sheets until cool enough to finish cooling on a baking rack.
Tried this recipe?tag #sunriseflourmill