Sourdough Sweet Dough
USE SWEET DOUGH FOR DINNER ROLLS, CARAMEL ROLLS, CINNAMON BREAD, AND PASTRIES
Make a levain preferment:
- 20 - 30 gr starter
- 100 gr Sunrise Flour Mill Turkey Red Heritage White Flour
- 75 - 100 gr water non-chlorinated, 70 - 85 degrees F
Next day or after 12 hours
- 3-4 Tbsp butter
- *490g-520g Whole milk warm to about 90F
- 2 Tbsp cane sugar
- 1 Tbsp Real Salt
- 800 g Sunrise Flour Mill Turkey Red Heritage White Flour
- *Depends on how much hydration you have in your starter. If it is highly hydrated and thin use a little less water, if it is very thick use a little more water.
- Combine milk, melted butter, salt, and sugar with the levain and mix thoroughly.
- Add the flour and mix at med low for 3 to 4 minutes until you have a smooth dough and the sides of the mixer are clean, or mix by hand until you have a smooth dough with good elasticity.
- Place in refrigerator and bulk ferment for one or two days.
To make dinner rolls
- Pour the dough out on a clean smooth surface. Knead and roll the dough out so there is a roll or mound from which portions can be cut. Cut and weigh about 100g (3 oz) portions. Roll each piece on dry counter until it rounds into a nice round ball. Place ball in a well greased pan. (Grease with butter and coconut oil). There should be a little room between them (about 1/4 inch). Fill an entire pan so that as they rise they are supported. If there is dough left over get creative. (I sometimes make a small loaf of cinnamon bread).
- Cover with a cling wrap and let them rise to about double in size, it may take a few hours depending on the temperature of your kitchen. Keep an eye on them.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Remove the cling wrap and bake 20-25 minutes. Check the inner temperature of the rolls with a thermometer. When the inside temperature reads 195F they a done. Brush with melted butter immediately. Serve warm if possible.
- They will keep for a few days in a plastic bag. Let them cool completely before putting them in the bag. They also can be frozen after they cool. Wrap in foil and then a paper bag. Thaw over night and refresh in a 350F oven for 3-5 minutes.
To make sourdough sweet dough pecan focaccia
- Place dough in round pan
- Melt together 1/2 stick butter, 1/4 C maple syrup
- Dimple dough with knuckles or fingertips
- Sprinkle 1/2-1 C pecans over the top
- Drizzle with butter/syrup mixture
- Bake at 300-320F for 20-25 minutes. Baking at a higher temperature will cause the top to caramelize.
Tried this recipe?tag #sunriseflourmill