Print Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
Heritage Wheat Berry Salad
Our wheat berries are single-sourced directly from our community of farmers. And they care about responsible sourcing just as much as we do. Because they are organic, heritage grain, and tested for our quality standards; our wheat berries are often much easier to digest. Use them in recipes that are savory or sweet. We love a hearty side salad in the summer, loaded with colorful, locally-grown vegetables and dressed with a tangy vinaigrette.
Servings: 4 People
- 1 Cup Dry Heritage Wheat Berries
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion diced
- 3 Scallions green and white parts, finely chopped
- 1/2 Bell Pepper diced
- 1 Carrot diced
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil extra virgin
- 1/2 Cup balsamic or rice wine vinegar
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Combine wheat berries and 3 cups water in a small pot or pan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer until soft yet chewy, around 1 ½ hours.
- Drain berries in a sieve, place in a container, and cool in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, chop onion; scallion, bell pepper; and carrot.
- Chop cilantro, if using.
- Mix olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper.
- Place cooled wheat berries in a mixing bowl, add chopped vegetables, stir to combine.
- Drizzle dressing on top, stir to combine.
- Garnish with cilantro.
Tried this recipe?tag #sunriseflourmill